Breastfeeding Education and Support for New Mothers
Breastfeeding is one of the most beneficial things a mother can do for her baby. There are many physical and emotional benefits for both baby and mom. Some of those benefits may include less physician office visits, it can reduce risks of many illnesses and breastmilk is readily available. It also provides special bonding time for you and your baby. But sometimes there are challenges for both baby and mom. As a baby-friendly designated hospital, we offer the Breastfeeding Education Center as a resource to support new mothers.
Benefits of Breastfeeding
There are many physical and emotional benefits of breastfeeding for both mom and baby:
- Breastmilk is always ready and free.
- Breastfed babies have fewer visits to the doctor or hospital with less severe ear, breathing and stomach infections.
- The hormone oxytocin, which is released during nursing, promotes feelings of love and closeness.
- Breastfeeding can help mom lose pregnancy weight.
- Breastfeeding can reduce the risk of premenopausal breast and ovarian cancer in women who breastfeed longer than a year.
- Studies show that breastfeeding also reduces the risk of mom developing diabetes, heart disease and brittle bones later in life.
Our caring and skilled nurses and certified lactation consultants help expectant parents prepare for breastfeeding and provide one-on-one assistance to new mothers. As mother and baby learn together, it is common to have questions, concerns and challenges. That’s where we can help. Our experienced staff can provide advice and support to ensure a successful experience.
When to ask for help:
- Your baby eats less than eight times in 24 hours (after the third day).
- Your baby is too sleepy to wake for feeds (after day two).
- Feeding is painful.
- Baby never seems satisfied.
- Feedings last longer than one hour.
- Your baby is not gaining weight after day five.
- Baby has trouble attaching and staying latched.
The Breastfeeding Education Center is located at Orlando Health Winnie Palmer Hospital for Women & Babies. Services include private lactation consultations (insurance accepted). Consultations are by appointment only. To schedule an appointment, please call (321) 843-2229.
New Mother Classes
Several virtual classes are also available to new mothers, including:
For more information on these classes and others, and to register, view our Virtual Childbirth and Parenting Classes here.
Breast Pump Rental
If you are interested in renting a breast pump, call Lori’s Gifts at (321) 843-1222. Lori’s Gifts is located on the first floor of Orlando Health Winnie Palmer.