Quick Scheduling with an OB/GYN Specialist
Enjoy comprehensive service and award-winning healthcare. Submit an appointment request today, and our staff will follow up with you shortly to confirm a time that works for you.
Genetic Counseling and Support for Expectant Parents
In all aspects of the care we offer, our goal is to provide the most comprehensive information available to help you make the best decisions for you and your baby.
If you should require genetic counseling, your obstetrician may refer you to be seen by one of our board certified genetic counselors at the Hughes Center for Fetal Diagnostics located at the Winnie Palmer Hospital Center for Maternal Fetal Medicine. Prenatal genetic counseling provides information and support to expectant mothers and couples whose pregnancy may be at risk for birth defects or genetic conditions.
If any of the following apply to you, your doctor may recommend genetic counseling:
- Family history of birth defects or a previous child born with a genetic disorder
- Abnormal fetal sonogram, CVS, amniocentesis or maternal screening blood test result
- Infertility due to known or suspected genetic factors
- Significant exposure to medications or other potentially harmful agents during pregnancy
- Maternal age or other indications
- Couples experiencing a history of multiple miscarriages
- Expectant parents who are related to each other
Depending on your individual situation, genetic counseling may lead to a referral to other medical specialists, a referral for bereavement/grief counseling, recommendations for additional testing, or the identification of additional resources, including support group information and networking with other individuals impacted by similar conditions.
If you feel you are at risk and would like to receive genetic counseling, talk to your obstetrician to learn how to obtain a referral to the Hughes Center for Fetal Diagnostics.
Our genetic counseling is provided by the following board certified genetic counselors:
Kristan Moxley, MS, CGC
Katie Sullivan Bellia, MS, CGC
Carrie Crain, MS, CGC
For more information about our genetic counseling services or to schedule an appointment, please call 321.841.8555.